12/10/07

Boursin Potatoes

It’s freezing in the heart of Texas! Or at least hovering around 50 degrees, which is practically freezing since we had the air conditioner running this time yesterday. It feels a lot more like Christmas with a shiver in the air. And that makes my kitchen seem down right cozy. Perfect weather to start testing recipes for Christmas.

Tonight I made a simple potato dish. It’s so easy that it doesn’t seem worthy for the special Christmas meal. But, who am I kidding!??! I’m all about simplicity this year. We are hosting family (12 adults and 6 children) for lunch on Christmas Day. The morning will obviously be a buzz of activity and I want to enjoy the moment with Husband and the children without worrying about orchestrating a complicated meal. I’m going to serve grilled beef tenderloin as the main course. Husband is the best grill master in the world so he’ll be in charge of the meat which will free me up considerably. A lesson I learned the hard way two years ago when I decided we’d have a Creole Christmas. I cooked for two solid days. I made the best damned gumbo any non-cajun ever made, but it was certainly a labor of love.

After dinner this evening, Sister One was clearing her plate and she said, “Mommy those were the best potatoes I’ve ever had. Can I have them in my lunch tomorrow? And can you make that dinner again every night? I really liked everything on my plate!’

That’s my girl. What’s not to love about beef tenderloin and boursin potatoes? Just don’t give away the secret that these gems are delicious and sinfully simple to make.

Boursin Potatoes

3 lbs red potatoes, unpeeled
2 C heavy cream
5 oz boursin cheese

Combine cheese and cream in a saucepan and cook until blended, stirring frequently. Thinly slice the potatoes.

Layer the potatoes and cheese mixture alternately in a shallow baking dish until all the ingredients are used, ending with the cheese mixture.

Bake 35 - 45 minutes or until light brown and bubbly.

No comments: